Chapter Nine—The Price Isn’t Right

     On Wednesday, March 1, when she counted up all the receipts for February, Robin discovered that she had made $557 and some change in February, which thrilled her. And February is the shortest month of the year. She was learning to pinpoint certain areas of sales—for example, she ordered a lot of spring clothing wear for March, even though it was still a little chilly. But the warmer weather was just around the corner and the new styles proved to be quite popular, especially among the younger set in town. She continued to stock a lot of what she called “fuddy-duddy” apparel for the older ladies who were too conservative to try the modern fashions, so she was making every effort to appeal to all age groups. It was a learning process, but February indicated to her that she was becoming more successful.
     She had gritted her teeth again and given John Jones the $150 “protection” money. On the 28th, when he came in at 5 o’clock with his cohorts, she announced sarcastically, “Well, there’s John Jones and his Three Trained Gorillas. I have some bananas if your apes are hungry, Jones.”
     He just smiled. “Now, now, Miss Morrow, no need to be ugly. I hear your business is doing quite well and our protection service is helping you do that.”
     “The only service I want from you is to leave me alone.”
     She held out the $150 to him—all $1 bills—but before he could take it, she dropped it and the bills fluttered and scattered across the floor. “Oops. How clumsy of me,” she said, then turned her back on him and went to straighten up some stock. That woman is getting on my nerves, Jones thought. She needs to be taken down a peg or two.
     She made Aunt Martha’s house payment, and her own loan payment, the next day, March 1. She heaved a sigh of relief when she did, but then realized that she had only gained a short reprieve. I’ve got to make these payments again in one month…and Aunt Martha and I have both wiped out what we had in the cookie jar…Robin had no idea where the money would come from. I’ve got a month to worry about it…
     She saw Eric Wilcox briefly. “Any good news?” she asked him, wanly.
     He shook his head. “We’re hanging in there, but barely. The run has stopped, but we are teetering on the edge. I’m sorry.”
     Robin went home that night, dejected. As she undressed, she heard a slight crinkle from her blouse and investigated. Out of the pocket, she pulled the list Sophie had given her a few days before; she had forgotten all about it. With disgust, she started to wad it up and throw it away, but then curiosity got the better of her. Who would spend $30 for an hour…? I don’t care how “special” she is…She opened the folded sheet and looked at it. There were about 25 names on it. Wow. And she said there were more… She read the names. Amazement overwhelmed her. She knew personally or had heard of about 20 of them…I can’t believe this…him?…him, too?…no, not him, he wouldn’t…Robin was getting an education in the seedier side of humanity. $30 was a lot of money—a month’s salary for her two workers, Rhonda and Marge, and a lot of other people as well. It was somewhat overpowering to her.
     And she smiled at herself again. That blasted conscience of mine…

     With all the tension that was building over the next several days, Robin received one nice surprise about mid-March. A familiar face came into her store, one that she hadn’t seen for several months.
     “Sam!” And she went and gave Sam Burke a hug. “How are you doing?”
     He smiled and hugged her back. “I’m doing well. Fully recovered.” He glanced around the store. “You’ve got a lovely shop here, but I don’t see very much I’d be interested in.”
     Robin laughed. “You mean you don’t wear lingerie?”
     “I haven’t for the past two or three years,” he said with a chuckle.
     They went to dinner that night and he told her what he was doing. “We’re getting ready to lay track about five miles south of here. I found a good route last year when I was surveying, so I’ve been showing UP where it is. Couldn’t do anything during the winter because of the cold weather, but now that things are warming up some, they are ready to come through.”
     “Oh, that’s great. We all feel that the railroad will be a big boost to the economy here. I know Len Kramer is thrilled. They won’t have to haul lumber so far any more.”
     “Yes, should help the farmers and ranchers, too. They won’t need to drive their cattle hundreds of miles any more. The buyers can come here to Whitewater and the cows can simply be taken to the railroad a few miles away.”
     “They’ll love that, I’m sure.”
     Sam told her that he would be leaving the area shortly. “Going to Oregon to survey for a short branch route up there. But I wanted to stop and say hello.”
     “Well, I’m glad you did. Thanks for thinking of me.” Robin was a little disappointed that he wasn’t going to be around longer, but he had to go where his job took him.
     Men weren’t much on her mind in March. Cameron Collins took her to lunch one time and told her that he was heading down south for a few weeks to buy some cattle.
     “We had a good sale in the fall and want to pick up a few hundred head to graze this summer.”
     “How long will you be gone?” Robin asked him.
     “Not sure, but probably won’t be back until mid-May or so. No later than that.”
     That disappointed Robin, too, but it seemed that her and Cameron had been going in circles and not really getting anywhere. Interestingly, things seemed to be looking more positive between her and Len Kramer. He took her to dinner a couple of times and, while the talk tended to turn to the current financial crisis Robin was having and whether anything could be done about John Jones, they still seemed to be developing a closer relationship. He kissed her goodnight each time but that was all.
     “Hopefully this will all clear up soon,” he said to her, and Robin certainly echoed those sentiments.
     She saw Jason Kerr and Ryan Adams once each in March. She wasn’t avoiding them, she just had her mind on other things. One other name cropped up, though… Rob…I haven’t thought about him much lately…A tinge of sadness touched her heart…I wonder what happened…why he killed that woman…she shook her head…that seems so long ago now, I guess, maybe I’m finally getting over him…But then, a tear came to her eyes…Rob…you were the best I’ve ever known…I do miss you, oh, why did you have to be an outlaw?…why did you have to rob that stage?…why didn’t you take me far, far away, and none of this would have ever happened…we could have been so happy together, I know we could have…Somehow, now, as the days of March marched on, as the crisis drew closer and closer…Rob Conners came back to her more and more frequently…what would he do if he were in my place? She smiled. He’d bury Jones and his Three Trained Gorillas…and then he’d grab me and we’d ride off into the sunset and live happily ever after…
     And with that happy thought, Robin broke down and cried….

     As the days passed, a knot developed in her stomach and became tighter and tighter. We’re doing ok at the store; I might have enough to make all my payments…but not Aunt Martha’s house payment…She went to see Eric Wilcox on March 15.
     “Are you going to have to foreclose on Aunt Martha’s house if she doesn’t make the payment on April 1?” she asked him.
     “I’ve give her a little time, Robin, but I’m strapped and things are very, very troubling. I’m going to have to start foreclosing very soon on businesses to try to raise some capital to meet the needs of my customers. I need one great big deposit to put the bank back on sound footing. But even then, if she doesn’t make her payments…” He just shook his head.
     Robin got tears in her eyes. “I think I’ll have enough to make the payment on her house, Eric. But I won’t be able to make my loan payment if I do. So I guess I’ll just have to default and let you have the building back.”
     He sighed. “I’ve got a buyer for that building, Robin, and that would ease the bank’s burden considerably. But, of course, I can’t shut you down until you default on the loan.” He gave her a soft smile. “Let’s wait and see what happens. We have a couple of weeks yet.”
     Robin saw no way out of the dilemma. None.
     But then, she wasn’t the only one thinking about it….

     To Robin’s surprise—and dismay—John Jones and His Three Trained Gorillas came in just before Robin closed the shop on Thursday, March 16.
     “What are you doing here today?” she asked Jones, not pleasantly.
     “We have…a business proposition to discuss with you.” He smiled. “And it’s not optional.”
     Robin flared, but there wasn’t anything she could do about it. She just nodded.
     Because she had some “business” to talk over with these men, she allowed Rhonda and Marge to go on home just after the store closed; normally they stayed 30 minutes after to help re-stock the shelves, clean up, and get the store ready for the next day. Robin had never told her two helpers about the protection racket money she had to pay, so Rhonda and Marge really had no idea what the “business” was all about. But they got to go home early, so they weren’t going to be nosey.
     Jones, as always, was smiling as he came up to the counter, behind which Robin stood, with not even the hint of a smile on her face. The Three Trained Gorillas never smiled, either.
     Jones said, affably, “Looks like we might have some bad weather today.”
     “Well, maybe it will blow you and your apes to hell.”
     Jones laughed, but it was a forced laugh. “Why do I always get the impression that you’re not happy to see us?”
     “Let’s cut the small talk. What is this ‘business proposition’ you have for me? A cancellation of your extortion, I hope.”
     “No, I’m afraid that’s not it. And I’m also not a liberty to tell you. I am not authorized to do that. You will have to come and discuss the matter with my…employer.”
     Robin was exasperated. “When?”
     “Right now. He’s waiting for you—us—at his home as we speak.”
     The first thought that went through Robin’s mind was, I’ll get to see who is behind this. But she said, “I’ve got plans for tonight.”
     Jones replied, “Well, I think you can put them on hold. We shouldn’t be gone too long.”
     Robin sighed and stared at Jones, trying to drill holes in him with her eyes. Before she said anything, Jones spoke again, “Sammy, go out to the stable and get our horses and bring them around front. Miss Morrow’s as well.”
     Sammy didn’t speak, he just nodded.
     “I suppose you don’t have any idea of what this is all about,” Robin said.
     Jones, smiling, just shrugged.
     A few moments later, he spoke. “Just so you’ll know, Miss Morrow, and just so you won’t try anything stupid when we get outside, I’ll have a gun on you at all times. And do keep your Aunt Martha in mind. We’d so hate for some harm to come to her.”
     Robin closed her eyes and gritted her teeth. “If you so much as harm one hair on her head…” Jones didn’t seem to be too concerned about what she might do.
     They waited in silence until Gorilla Number 2 said from the front door, “He’s out there.”
     Jones looked at Robin. “Shall we go?”
     Robin, not surprisingly, was very apprehensive.

     “I don’t guess you’re going to tell me where we’re going,” Robin asked Jones, who rode to her right, as they were riding down Oak Street.
     “Oh, you’ll find out soon enough.”
     Robin sighed and glanced around, but she didn’t see anyone. With the threatening weather, most people were inside. Besides, it was supper time. It didn’t take long before they were out of town anyway. They turned right on a trail that led east, across the river, and into some foothills of the Turtle Mountains. She had never been down this road before and it narrowed through some trees and forced them to ride single file. Two men remained in front of her, two behind. A couple of times she had to duck to avoid getting hit by a limb. It was almost dark now but she could see the trail. It snaked through the trees, generally upward.
     “Almost there now,” Jones announced, and sure enough, a couple minutes later, the trees opened up and Robin saw a huge, white columned home sitting on a knoll, tree covered mountain slanting high up behind it, a lovely manicured lot sloping gently down from the front, sprinkled here and there with pine trees, and various shrubs, bushes, and flowers that showed tender loving care—or a lot of hard work. “Whose house is this?” Robin asked, as the five of them rode along a gravel wagon path that curved around the front of the house, right up to the stairway that led to the front door.
     “You’ll see,” was all she was told.
     It was a beautiful home. Robin had to admit that. Polished hardwood floors, a winding staircase to the second floor with a cherry wood railing, exotic plants in pots here and there, French style furniture. And that was just in the huge lobby. There was a big room off to the right with a sofa, some chairs, paintings on the wall, bear skin rug on the floor. To the left a wide hallway that ended a huge ornately designed double doors. Other hallways led off in other directions.
     “Wait here a moment,” Jones instructed. He walked down the hallway to the left, knocked on the double doors, and a few seconds later opened one of them and went inside the room. Robin glanced at the Three Trained Gorillas; they were judiciously standing in a semi-circle around her. She wasn’t going anywhere.
     Jones was gone a good ten minutes, and then came back, all smiles as always. “You can go in now.”
     “I can hardly wait,” Robin muttered, but for all her bravado, she was scared to death. But she didn’t really think anyone would hurt her, or at least kill her. She remembered that Jones said she was going to “negotiate” with his “employer.”
     She followed Jones down the long hallway, the Three Trained Gorillas behind. They were walking along a rather dark corridor, high ceiling, walls paneled about halfway up, then a red and gold wallpaper the rest of the way. Paintings along both walls. No doors. Just the two big ones right in front.
     Jones—smiling, of course—pushed opened the door, and motioned for Robin to enter. She did, and the four men followed her. A lovely room, huge. A large framed window was to her left; it looked out over the front yard, but the curtains were closed at the moment. There was sumptuous furniture neatly arranged around the room, sofas and chairs and tables, with crystal lamps. Bookshelves full of books filled the back walls, except in the center where there was a fireplace, with a nice fire crackling. French doors led out to a patio on the right. But the main, or at the moment, most important feature of the room, was the man standing next to a desk, in front of Robin about 30 feet and a little to her right. He wore a lovely red dinner jacket and was holding a glass of what appeared to be sherry.
     Mayor Randolph Grey.

     “Ah, the lovely Miss Morrow,” Randolph Grey said as she stood just inside the door. “Come, come, we must talk. Would you like to have something to drink? I have this sherry imported all the way from France.” He waved a magnanimous arm. “Where I get much of my belongings. They make the best wines and lovely furniture, don’t you think?”
     Robin advanced into the room, helped with a firm, and rude, push from behind. She walked over and stood in front of Randolph Grey. He was actually about a inch shorter than she, round, roly-poly man and thin, graying hair. He wasn’t even close to being handsome, probably never had been, and to Robin, he was even uglier now, given what she knew he was doing. He looked at her, smiling, behind small, round, wire-framed glasses. The eyes spoke of intelligence and cunning. This man was no fool, as was evidenced by the surrounding wealth.
     Jones and his gorillas walked and stood to Robin’s left, close to the window and behind a long wooden table of rosewood. Jones was a little closer to his boss, however, just in case Robin tried to strangle him or something. But all of them were, in effect, behind their boss, though to his right. Apparently, he didn’t like looking at them. Robin didn’t, either.
     Robin said, “No, I don’t want anything to drink, thank you. What I want to know is why I am here and what you want from me. It is obvious that you’ve been the one extorting money from me and a lot of other innocent, decent people. I’m sure it would do no good to ask you to stop, so just please tell me what you want so I can get you out of my sight and get back to what I had planned tonight.”
     “Now, now, Miss Morrow. You are being too harsh. Keep in mind that I am the mayor of Whitewater. With that position comes a certain amount of power and a lot of responsibility. Like for example, certain zoning restrictions, property laws, and so forth. No one in this town can open a business without my say-so, but at the same time, I have to keep the town clean, well ordered, etc. Thus, in many ways, you owe your business to me. You wouldn’t have had it without my approval. I think a little gratitude is in order.”
     “Thank you. But I pay my taxes. Now, can I go home?”
     He chuckled and finished his drink. “You sure you don’t want one?” he asked, motioning to the bottle of sherry next to him. “It really is delicious.”
     “No, I just want to know what I’m doing here.”
     “Impatient little wench, aren’t you,” he said, pouring himself another drink. “Ok, then I shall tell you.” He poured himself another drink, then spoke again. “You have been paying $150 per month for the privilege of having your business and for the protection against someone coming in and opening another similar to it. They will not be able to do this as long as you make your payments, and I am the mayor. Which I will be for as long as I wish. And, as mayor, I know pretty much everything that goes on in this town.” He smiled wickedly. “Everything that has anything to do with money, that is.”
     Robin just looked at him and didn’t say anything.
     “I am well aware, Miss Morrow” Grey continued, “that you stand to lose your business and your aunt will lose her home if your…income is not expanded somewhat in the very near future.”
     Robin replied, “I suppose you got that information from Eric Wilcox. Do you own him, too?”
     Grey’s face clouded up. “No, though I do get reports from one of the bank’s accountants on who has what. If it hadn’t been for you, I would have had Wilcox completely in my power right now, I’d own the bank, and much of Whitewater. But no, just as you did at the meeting with Lt. Veal, you had to open your big mouth and put a dent in the bank run.”
     Robin was nonplussed. “What are you talking about?”
     Grey appeared a little exasperated. “How do you think that rumor of an insolvent bank started, Miss Morrow? I started it. I intended to drain that bank dry to where Wilcox would have to start foreclosing on businesses, homes, ranches, and so forth. And then, he would be so desperate for money that he would sell me the notes at rock-bottom prices. I would then own all of that property and could sell it to whomever wanted it at a substantial profit to myself.”
     You disgusting little thief….Robin experienced feelings of loathing and hatred deeper than she could ever have imagined could have been there.
     Grey continued, “But no, just when I just about had Wilcox cleaned out, you come out of the bank and start yapping about all the stupid fools who believed a baseless rumor.” Robin remembered that now. It was the first day of the bank run, when Eric Wilcox had told her he was going to have to take hers and Aunt Martha’s money. “So,” the mayor said, “enough people kept their money in the bank to keep it afloat. It’s still teetering on the brink, though, and I think I can push it over soon. Wilcox needs a big deposit to restore confidence and I’m not going to let him have it.” He refilled his drink, and asked, “Are you sure you don’t want something? You look a little ill.”
     Robin felt ill. Very ill. But she shook her head. “Ok, I stopped your thieving bank run. I’m very happy about that. But what does all this have to do with me?”
     Grey nodded. “Back to your situation. By the first of April, you are going to be a few hundred dollars short of what you need to make your loan payment and your aunt’s house payment.”
     “You’ve already said that.”
     Grey continued as if Robin hadn’t interrupted. “I am confident that, by that time, I will have Wilcox and the Whitewater bank in such straits that he will need to start foreclosing on just about every property in town that he holds a note on. That means your business and your aunt’s home.” He smiled, his fat cheeks spreading. “I’m not all bad, Miss Morrow, and I’d like to help you out. I can help you keep your business and your aunt can keep her house.”
     Grey’s words didn’t give Robin much optimism. She wanted to save her business and Aunt Martha’s house, of course, but she didn’t trust the mayor in the least. There was a catch, she knew, and it would be a catch that would benefit him more than anyone else. She asked, “How can you do that?”
     “Well, you’ll need some more income, of course.”
     “And you can help me with that?”
     “I think so. Madame Sophie tells me you have…talents that could make me a lot more money.”
     The color in Robin’s face drained.
     Grey said, “I understand that she even has a clientele waiting for you, but you continue to dawdle.” He looked at Robin harshly. “You apparently haven’t got enough sense to realize it’s your only solution.” He took a sip of his drink, and his voice became more…reasonable. “Just 15 hours a week is all that I will require of you, Miss Morrow. At $30 an hour, that will bring in $450, $1800 per month. I will give you $200 of that, to pay your aunt’s mortgage. Also, you can have any tips above the $30 that you might be given. The rest of the money will go to me, of course; well, there will be a small stipend for Sophie, too, but that is none of your concern.” He smiled again, as wicked a smile as Robin had ever seen. “And to show you my good faith and generosity, I will lower your monthly ‘protection’ payment to $50. You can keep your store, your aunt can keep her house, I make a lot of money…” He shrugged. “It’s a win-win for everybody.”
     Robin’s face was almost completely colorless now. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She tried to speak, but she couldn’t find her voice for a moment. Then, finally, she croaked, “You…you can’t…”
     “Oh, yes, I can, Miss Morrow. I can and I will.” He smiled. “Just think. Several of your male friends will be your customers.”
     Robin really felt sick now. That wasn’t technically true—about the men being her “friends”-- but she did know several of the men on the list Sophie had given her.
     Randolph paused and his voiced hardened. “Don’t try to stop this, Miss Morrow. It’s your only answer. And if you don’t go through with it….I think you should consider the security of your aunt. And if something… tragic… should happen to her, well, you have other friends in town as well, don’t you. Jennie Adams recently had a baby, didn’t she?”
     Robin closed her eyes and grimaced. “Ohw! You’re a monster! Nothing but an inhuman monster!” And she went for him, fingers curled like claws, intending to scratch his eyes out. But John Jones grabbed her from behind and pinned her arms. Robin kicked and struggled but she couldn’t get free.
     Randolph Grey laughed, a sick, insane laugh. “And while we are here, I think we all should get an advanced taste of what Madame Sophie’s customers are going to enjoy. Don’t you think so, boys?”
     It was fairly obvious that they did. Even the Three Trained Gorillas smiled at that one and started towards Robin.
     But then came a voice from just inside the door that silenced everyone.
     “I..don’t..think so. No parties without me.”
     Randolph Grey looked over. The three gorillas stopped in their tracks. John Jones let go of Robin. And she turned in the direction of the voice that had spoken. And what color she had left in her face completely drained away. She stood frozen, her eyes staring in utter shock and disbelief. Thinking back later, she honestly believed that her heart had stopped beating for a few seconds. She saw a phantom. An apparition. An impossibility. Something literally from beyond the grave. It was the most amazing, and welcomed, sight she had ever seen in her life, something beyond her wildest dreams, a vision she thought she’d never have again.
     “Rob!”